March 24, 2012

Grandma understood.

My maternal grandmother passed away last November. Before I wrote about my moment of forgetting she was gone.  Since then, it's like everything has hit me harder than before.  I was very peaceful about her life and death when she passed and in the few months that followed.  But now I miss her something fierce. 

She always understood, as grandmothers can, but she understood pain and suffering in a special way, because her life was filled with it from her childhood through the years up to her death.  Maybe it's harder for me right now because because of all that I'm going through.  I think that is it. 

Yesterday I ran into her best friend.  It was so good to see her.  I hugged her and talked to her about Grandma.  We caught up on her life, which recently has involved two surgeries, the poor thing.  Talking with her was like having a bit of Grandma in my life again.