August 4, 2012

Coconut Oil Tooth Cleaner

I picked up these sweet little palm-sized jars from Hobby Lobby today.  Then I scraped the bottom of our coconut oil jar and whipped up some delicious tooth cleaner! 
Coconut Oil Tooth Cleaner:
Clove on the left, Orange on the right
We've been testing out all kinds of non-fluoride tooth cleaning products over the past months.  Our favorite is some pricey Neem bark and licorice root toothpaste. 

Yesterday I came across a recipe on Facebook and posted it.  A friend commented with her experiences.  She encouraged me to forget the glycerin, which leaves a coating on the teeth that prevents saliva from doing its job to repair teeth. 

Since I have some cavities that I'd like to get rid of, instead of getting them drilled and filled at the dentist, I was excited to try the recipe!
Here is an estimate of my "recipe":
Tooth Cleaner
1/4 c. Coconut oil
1 heaping tsp. Baking Soda
6 drops essential oil (food grade)
1/2-1 tsp. unrefined Celtic Sea Salt
1 full dropper of liquid Stevia

Directions: add ingredients to your container and blend well. 
Dip your toothbrush into the mixture and brush!
I ordered peppermint and tea tree oil today, as well as some Xylitol, which I'm excited to try.