June 24, 2012

Vitamins and Supplements

My current vitamins and supplements include:

20,000 IU Vitamin D3
4,000 mg Vitamin C taken with iron supplements to promote absorption
1,000 mcg sustained release B6
200 mg Selenium
85 mcg elemental iron from Hema-Plex Iron, taken 3 x daily, totaling 255 mcg per day
500 mg Magnesium blend which also includes:
    1,000 mg Calcium
    200 IU Vitamin D3
    10 mg Zinc (I take this at night which is when I tend to have higher cortisol)


Nota Bene: Iron supplements need to be taken 1 hour before but 4 hours after thyroid medications to prevent binding of the T3 to the iron.  If you take your thyroid medication sublingually, it do not have to worry about binding.

Per Janie's explanation on the purpose and use of adaptogens, I stopped taking Rhodiola and Ashwagandha.  I have low cortisol and adaptogens are for high cortisol or a mixture of highs and lows.  Janie explained that adaptogens are for times of stress.  They do not heal adrenals that are fatigued.

I started selenium to help with my high thyroid anti-bodies from Hashi's.