June 6, 2012

Super Saturated Potassium Iodide (SSKI)

I have found that I can't tolerate SKKI. 

At my doctor's recommendation, I started taking them in late February or early March to support my thyroid.  Immediately I began to notice that my skin and hair were more oily and I began to break out.  But as I was still dealing with a lot of hypothyroidism and adrenal insufficiency, I didn't put two and two together.  Also, I wondered if it was some sort of detox process that my body was going through now that things were straightening out.

By April, I was dealing with full on acne.  I never had acne as a teenager - the occasional zit, yes, but not acne - and this was unlike anything I have ever dealt with. 

Ironically, I was using the SKKI to dry out the acne - and it worked great! 

Someone on one of the Stop the Thyroid Madness groups on Facebook said something about herself and not being able to tolerate iodine - it gave her acne.  And so I wondered if it was iodiode that might be causing my issues. 

So I stopped taking it and noticed an immediate improvement.  Within a week or so, the pattern of new pimples forming had stopped.  And within a month, everything was back to normal.  I did also use some salycic acid to dry things out.

I'm not writing this as a caution against the use of iodide or iodine.  Both can be very beneficial to thyroid patients.  This was just my personal experience.