June 8, 2012

Shedding a Little Light on my Cortisol Levels

Yesterday, I posted my new cortisol lab results and expressed my surprise at how low they are. 

A dear friend on the Adrenal support group tipped me off to what may be the difference between my two labs.  

For the first test, I stopped my doc's Adrenal Support blend 9 days before the cortisol test.  In the first instance, I felt horrible when I went off the Adrenal Support, so I took the test a little early so I could get back on. 

I didn't know at the time that the Adrenal Support has adrenal cortex in it.  All the bottle says is "adrenal." 

As I'm typing this, I'm immediately thinking, "When will I learn to ask more questions?"  But I am also remembering that I did ask at the nurses what was in it, and I never got a straight answer.  The nurses' answers are perpetually, "If would be better if you just asked doc at your appointment."  


For the second test, I stopped everything 10 days before the test.  I had been taking Rhodiola off-and-on for quite a while.  But about 15 days prior to the test, I had started taking it daily, as well as the Women to Women's Herbal Equilibrium, which has a small amount of ashwagandha.

The probability of skewed results makes everything make so much more sense. I can't believe that didn't occur to me before my friend's question!  I don't feel great now, but I do feel SO much better than I did in March. I just couldn't believe the difference in the results. (Gosh, I wish I knew what they really were back in March.)