February 19, 2012

Beginning to Heal

About three weeks ago, I started re-visiting my alternative MD.  He gave me a book that's been mind-shattering.  It's unbelievable how much it reflects the issues my own health issues, and it's encouraging that many other people have experienced the same things and healed their bodies. 

In her book, Janie Bowthorpe essentially explains that you can have thyroid and adrenal dysfunction issues when your doctor's commonplace (THS) labs come back normal; the process within your body that causes this dysfunction; what happens when you are not treated or treated with the T4-only medications like Levothyroxine; and how to begin healing your body. 




Since my thyroid was treated with Levothyroxine, which is a synthetic T-4 only medication, instead of thyroid medication that contains all of the T-hormones (T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin which is what a healthy thyroid makes), my body didn't have the thyroid hormones it needs.  To help me function, my adrenal glands started pumping out their hormones.  After a time, my adrenals were weakened, then later completely shot.  My adrenals couldn't produce anymore of the "stress hormones" they needed. 

That is why I can't handle stress!  The light bulb goes off in my head.  My inability to handle stress has even gotten to the point where, if I go through something remotely stressful - an insurance phone call, disciplining one of my young girls when they're being cantankerous - I'm so fatigued that it takes me days to recover.   

So I have had mis-medicated hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue.  Through Janie's book, I have also found out that when these two things - thyroid and adrenals - are fixed (through the thyroid and cortisol supplements, as well as some vitamins), it's likely that my low sex hormones will be resolved, too.  Hooray!  

I also have a vast list of symptoms that I am sure will dissipate once I've been on these supplements a while.  I cannot wait.